Tuesday, June 14, 2011

vegan chocolate cupcakes

vegan chocolate cupcakes with chai buttercream

 


I’m so glad y’all liked the pictures! I’m pretty convinced Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places on earth. On top of the photos, we also shot a short time lapse video, which I’ll post this afternoon.
But first, let’s talk birthday cake.


I’m blessed that I got to enjoy two! The first one was made by Ashley and was an absolutely diiiiiivine chocolate mint cake. I enjoyed it thoroughly after a small pizza get together with some friends last Thursday night.
The second cake I enjoyed were these cupcakes that I made to take with us to Tahoe.  Last week at the yoga studio, I experienced the most divine vegan chocolate cake with chai buttercream from a gluten-free bakery in town and ever since then I’ve been craving another slice of that cake.
So Friday afternoon before we left, I did what any cakeaholic would do on the eve of her 26th year.
I took matters into my own hands.

The chocolate cake hails from a tried and true recipe I’ve been making for years. And for the buttercream, I steeped a very strong (teeny tiny) cup of chai tea to infuse my billowy frosting with. The end result was a creamy, slightly spicy, perfect buttercream that paired wonderfully with the rich chocolate cake.

Ridiculous. I’m shocked they even lasted the car ride up.
Well, I might have eaten one in the car.

And another when we got there.
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Chai Buttercream
makes 10 cupcakes
chocolate cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World <—love
Print this recipe!
Ingredients:
for cupcakes–
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
for frosting–
1 stick earth balance buttery spread (1/2 cup)
about 3-4 cups powdered sugar
2 chai teabags
2 T boiling water
2 T soy milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the vinegar with the soy milk and let sit for five minutes.
Whisk together the soy milk/vinegar, canola oil, sugar and vanilla. In another bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add wet to dry and mix until combined.
Pour batter into greased cupcake molds and bake for 25 minutes, or until springy. Let cool completely before frosting.
While cupcakes are cooling, beat the earth balance until soft. Brew the tea in the two tablespoons of boiling water and let sit for ten minutes to steep. Then, add the soy milk. Add that mixture, plus the powdered sugar and cinnamon to the earth balance and continue to beat for 10 minutes until very light and fluffy.
Frost cooled cupcakes using this method or with a pastry bag and large star tip.
Enjoy!
Time:
1 hour

 

Related Article



No comments:

Post a Comment