Friday, December 3, 2010

Lex’s Italian Hot Chocolate


My sister went to Italy and came back telling me about their hot chocolate. She said it was thick and creamy and for whatever reason it completely enchanted me. So 7 years ago I researched Italian Hot Chocolate. I’ve finally perfected it after all this time and to not share it with you would be a crime. You’ll become famous for it. It’s one of those things you’ll think about year round and it will perplex people. It’s that good. Trust me on this one. Go make it tonight.

Pour 8 teaspoons of corn starch in a pot.

Pour in 1/2 c. of cocoa powder.

Pour 1/2 c. water into the pot and turn the heat onto medium.

Add 3/4 c. sugar.

Mix well with a wisk.

Add 4 c. of milk.

Now, this is amazing as is. But I’ve added a couple touches that take it over the top.

Add a dash of cinnamon. You don’t want ti to be too cinnamon-y. So just a dash.

Now add a dash of hot pepper. Trust me here. It will add a little heat, not spicey with just a dash. Don’t leave it out. Just go with me…

Now keep it stirring. It will begin to thicken as you stir. You want somewhere between hot chocolate and pudding. When it’s done, pour it in a cup.

For those of age, feel free to add a little extra something…

Now it’s time to top this baby off. Add some homemade whipped cream.

Now I’ve adapted this idea from Starbucks. They are good for something. Sorry. I know I’ve offended almost all of you by now. Pour a little caramel on top. You can use homemade or store bought.

Now for our final step- a small little supply of fleur de sel salt. Don’t try table salt, regular sea salt or kosher. You need it to be little rocks. I’ve bombed by using the other salts.

This will be your new favorite. It’s thick and creamy and you’ll get little tastes of the salty caramel the whole way down to the bottom.

Now go make it and come back and tell me how much you love it. It’s a great dessert treat and we love it with roasted chestnuts!

Related Article



No comments:

Post a Comment