Friday, December 3, 2010

A ribbon-frosted chocolate cake


Creative Loafing’s sales rep Jan Caldwell retired yesterday and her today is birthday. For such a grand occasion, a batch of cupcakes just wouldn’t suffice. I needed to make something really special to make for her.

When I ran across a blog post online featuring a mile-high layered cake decorated with ribbons of frosting, I knew I had to try it.

For my cake, I made two layers of rich chocolate cake and then cut each in half to make 4 layers. For the frosting, I made a vanilla buttercream and tinted it a bright and fun pink. The ribboned look was created with a Wilton petal decorating tip (like this).

So, I practically gave myself carpal tunnel syndrome from piping all the frosting, but it was totally worth it.

cakecollage

Related Article



No comments:

Post a Comment